Sunday, October 13, 2013

Safe and Secure in a Special Space



Daydreaming and praying while envisioning each prayer request and thought are very similar.  Yet, praying in that manner is so much more fulfilling, because there becomes a two way dialogue, with the Holy Spirit communicating in my heart while I communicate with my prayer thoughts.  This occurred this afternoon.   I was trying to take a nap to catch up on some snooze time.  My way of relaxing and meditating is to do imagining (visualizing) exercises and to pray as well.


Today's focus in my meditating - calming - relaxing - praying phase was to imagine myself being in a bed type bubble that had filtered air.  I'm sure my CPAP machine for my sleep apnea must have something to do with this part of the daydream or thought.  So, the bubble first looked like an oval, almost like a pill capsule type shape.  Then I started thinking about it and praying and talking to God about the shape being more like the interior portion of a large canopy bed.  I imagined a tall dome type French style canopy bed with a gentle bell shape curve coming from the four posts and connecting in the center with a decorative finial topping the connection.  The bed material could be brass or even better, richly upholstered tufted in deep plum or raspberry velvet, so that it would be a delightful tactile experience to engulf me in comfort while able to breathe easy, enclosed in a healthy bubble.  This special rectangular bed bubble would also be wrapped with high density opalescent Plexiglas.  It would have all the safety and comfort features built in, such as private water sealed entrance/exit with push button ease, alarm sensor for optimal privacy, surround sound music system, automatic temperature control, and any feature a woman needing pampering can imagine for excellent sleeping health.

Ah, I'm starting to feel a little more relaxed just thinking about this again.

So, where does the praying tie in to all of this?  Can you really daydream about a bed and call it a prayer?  Give me a break!  Right?  

Well, let me explain that my time with the Lord in meditation, thought and prayer wasn't just about an air bubble bed.  The purpose of the prayer and reaching out to God was precipitated by being upset, tired, distressed, and in great need to feel safe, protected, and just able to get some good sleep.  You see, I haven't been sleeping well lately.  Not that this is anything new, I have a history of not sleeping well many days of the week.  However, when I am emotionally upset over something and can't let it go enough to get that deep relaxation and REM sleep, then, my sleep becomes impaired and I start trying to wind down, deep breath, imagine being in an environment that is peaceful (usually imagine a waterfall and outdoors - tropical forest or mountains).  So, today, I was laying in bed under my cutesy pink shabby chic ruffled sheets and fluffy comforter in its pink shabby chic rouched duvet cover getting all comfy, feet propped up just so, sleep mask on, ear plugs in to block sound, CPAP mask on and breathing good air.  Ah, let the relaxation and eventual sleep begin .....  However, it usually takes me quite awhile to fall asleep during the daytime.

Okay, the other part of the prayer involves me feeling protected and feeling safe from any harm.  Whoa you say where did that come from?!  Well, I’m just like everyone else, my life is not pain free or perfect, so I try to use coping skills to make it better for myself, to recenter my world, to bring happiness and well being back.


So, I started thinking about what type of armor I would need to have on my body to prevent something from hurting me, weighing me down, causing me to feel depressed, unmotivated, just basically not feeling like the great person that I actually am (at least that is what so many people tell me!).  Then I started thinking about how God has made so many different types of animals and insects with built in protective armor of varying degrees, which keep them safe.  Some of them I thought of are: (1) porcupine, (2) turtle, (3) armadillo, (4) rolly polly bug, (5) crab, and other types with shell type skins that are hard to the touch.  I have no idea where I got these ideas, but I was just praying about my emotional safety and security and asking for the Lord to cover me with his love and his protection (like pouring warm honey all over your body that brings instant nurturing feeling and comfort).  

So - "SAFE AND SECURE IN A SPECIAL SPACE" - is the topic focus.

The first special space to feel safe and secure was the air bubble bed.  Ahhhh, sleeping like a pampered lady.

The second special space I mentioned was one's body, using the examples of animal’s or insect’s bodies with armor defenses.


The third one was in God's care, feeling his care, love, and presence.  This can occur in so many different ways to each individual person.  I gave one strange example of a feeling of having warm honey being poured all over your body - it’s just a sensation to feel warmed.  A better example would be to have a great quilt or soft comforter wrapped all around you with just enough tightness to feel as if someone is hugging you with love and at the same time guarding and protecting you.  

For me, the Lord God allows the Holy Spirit to bring comfort and a sense of fulfillment and an "everything is going to be okay now” feeling.  I most often get little butterfly type feelings in my stomach (not nervousness) but sort of like confirmation type feelings that let me know it's okay, and that I'm not alone in whatever it is that I'm going through in my life.  God is in my space, and he has gently lifted me into his special space and allowed me to hang out with him until I'm feeling better.  

PRAYER - yes, this is where prayer comes in.  The bible talks about "ask and you shall receive".  You see, God already knows what we need before we even ask for it.  Yet, I think the act of asking does all kinds of things for us (recognition, accountability, the act of verbalizing/thought processing the request).

So, what's the purpose in this specific blog topic?  One is that I wanted to let the readers know that God is a safe and secure person to be around and connect with.  Two is that praying doesn't have to be a formal type "Dear God, thank you for our food ....”  It can flow out of you like a conversation you would have with your best friend, or with your beloved grandmother who you trust immensely.  Or, praying with meditating, daydreaming, visualizing, as I wrote about.  It's very awesome to just be yourself and pray like you speak, that way your heart can be open and your mind can be cleared of troubles, requests and praises.

Reader friend, thank you in advance for being interested in the subject and taking the time to read the entire post.  I look forward to your comments and to responding to your messages.

May our God bless your day, your week, and your life!

Jeannette

No comments:

Post a Comment